Not sure if there are still people who haven’t tried this creamy fluffy dream but just in case someone hasn’t I created another version of my Chocolate mousse with coconut whipped cream.
The mousse gets all its fluffiness from Aquafaba. You can hardly achieve this with an avocado or coconut cream based chocolate mousse. Aquafaba when mixed, slowly transfers into a white fluffy mass that can be used in many different ways.
What is Aquafaba? As fancy as it sounds, the trivial it is. So Aquafaba is the viscous canned chickpea liquid, you usually throw away when using the chickpeas. And today I am going to show you how to make a heavenly, vegan and gluten-free chocolate mousse out of Aquafaba.
The mousse just consists of three ingredients. Jap, true dat! 1-2-3! So we have
Further, Aquafaba being very low in calorie, this dessert is not going to ruin your summer body. Well, I mean it wouldn’t anyway, because as we learned: Chocolate goes straight to the heart and nowhere else!
How to make the coconut cream?
Coconut cream is what you get when you place a can of coconut milk (or cream) in the fridge overnight and then you just take the harder part on top of the can. Always make sure you are using an unsweetened coconut milk or cream with a pure coconut extract of over 60%.
Then you simply blend it with a little bit of vanilla extract in the blender. Add to the mousse and drizzle with glazed nuts!
- 1 can of chickpeas (you will need only the liquid which is about 1 cup)
- 1 Cup (120gr) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar (substitute with maple syrup or agave syrup)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Melt your chocolate in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. (or microwave)
- Add ½ tsp vanilla extract and coconut nectar let chocolate cool down while you prepare the next step
- Mix the liquid of your chickpeas with an electric whisk (or blender)* – whisk until peaks form and you have a fluffy white consistency
- Gently fold in the chocolate with a spatula, and very slightly stir it.
- Pour into bowls and place in the fridge
- The mousse is ready to eat within 30 minutes
Make sure you use soap and oil-free whisk, bowls and cutlery.
I find that beating the aquafaba cold works much faster to bring to peaks. I also added the maple syrup to the bean juice before beating so it would not seize the chocolate. Used vanilla beans instead of extract. Turned out awesome!