I love chocolate pies and tarts. And I love a lot of chocolate pies and tarts. That’s why I came up with this healthier gluten-free, Vegan Nutella Tart. It’s guilt-free and just made with natural ingredients, which makes me love chocolate desserts even more.
In the recipe, I use a special technique called “blind-baking”, so the bottom of the crust won’t raise. We need that space in order to add the Nutella filling later. I know some countries use “baking weights for that purpose, but in Switzerland, we simply put legumes (Hülsenfrüchte) such as red beans on the bottom of the crust and bake it like this.
The recipe calls for Nutella and for this tart, I just bought one from Switzerland, as we have tons of vegan “Nutella” options to buy here. However, if you can’t find a brand that you like you can also make your own.
As for the coconut cream. if you don’t know how to make vegan whipped cream please check out this tutorial, in order to get the recipe right the first time you make it.
I really hope you enjoy this healthified version of a Nutella Tart and I would be happy to see your very version on Social Media! Share it with my on Instagram @vanillacrunnch or leave a comment here!
- 1 cup (120) hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup (130g) almond flour (oat flour works as well)
- 3 tbsp (35g) coconut sugar
- ½ cup (115g) margarine
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk*, chilled in the fridge overnight ("coconut cream")
- 7gr cornstarch (Maizena)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¾ Cup (230gr) "Nutella"
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (160°C).
- Spread the chopped hazelnuts out onto a parchment paper.
- Toast until slightly darkened, but not longer than 10 minutes
- Turn the oven up to 350°F (180°C)
- In your food processor combine the almond flour with the hazelnuts, sugar and sea salt.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and then add the chilled vegetable shortening.
- Press the mixture into a silicon pan of your choice (rectangular, round, heart-shaped) and blind-bake for about 20 minutes.
- For the filling whisk the cornstarch and ¼ cup of the heavy cream together in a small bowl.
- Combine the cornstarch mixture, the rest of the coconut cream, Nutella, coconut oil and vanilla
- Pour into the crust and refrigerator for 4-5 hours or overnight
- Decorate with more chopped hazelnuts