If you are a health nut but you love chocolate you should give this decadent Vegan chocolate cake with red currant layer a go!
The ingredients for this cake are really simple and you should have them all at home. The crust requires coconut flour but feel free to substitute with any other flour that comes to your mind! For the cacao powder, make sure you use a good quality one and raw if possible as the raw cacao powder is a real superfood, loaded with antioxidants and antioxidants (flavonoids) and further calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, and vitamins E, B2, B1, B5, B3, and B9.
The red currants give the cake an extra fruity freshness-kick. You can substitute them as well with raspberries or strawberries if you like. Speaking of the consistency of the cake, it really depends on how you prefer to eat it. You can let it sit in the freezer and de-freeze 30 minutes before serving or you can have them int he fridge. (that’s what I did.) When taking it out on the fridge it should be eaten right away, as otherwise, it becomes soft and creamy (it’s totally yummy but you can’t move it to make pictures anymore ;))
I have to say this cake is one of the best cakes I’ve ever tried. it is not super fancy at all but very easy to make and a great last minute birthday cake!
If you are in love with chocolate twisted with sea salt cakes make sure you check out my heavenly Chocolate ganache Cake from last year!
I hope you’ll be making this delicious healthy vegan chocolate cake recipe soon! I would be very happy to see your own version on Social Media! Share it with me on my on Instagram @vanillacrunnch or leave a comment here!
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- red currant layer
- 11/2 cup red currants
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- bright layer
- 1¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- 5½ oz. dark chocolate
- dark layer
- ⅓ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 oz. dark chocolate
- For the crust, process all the ingredients in your food processor
- Press evenly on the bottom of a round pan.
- For the red currant layer, process all the ingredients until well combined and spread over the crust.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes
- For the bright layer, break the dark chocolate and put into a small bowl.
- Heat the milk in the pan on medium heat and pour over chocolate.
- Let sit for 2 minutes and then begin to carefully combine. Pour over red currant layer.
- freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Same steps with the dark layer but heat milk with coconut oil.
- Freeze again for 30 minutes
- Decorate with red currants and chocolate pieces.