This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
This easy 8- ingredients vegan pistachio cake requires just 10 minutes of hands-on preparation time, basic ingredients and 40 minutes baking time. No artificial colors nor cake mix involved.
My last pistachio experience was, I guess, a “Gelato” in Italy and therefore I thought, I should give this unique flavor a go and put it into a cake. Fun fact: I just read that pistachio flavor is the second most popular ice cream flavor in Switzerland. (the first is chocolate.)
Pistachio (flavor) somehow is always associated with a strong green color. But if you eat a real pistachio Icecream (without any fuss or food coloring), you’ll notice that the color is actually brown greenish. So don’t get fooled by the color in my pictures, it derives from the spinach, I used in this cake recipe.
For the recipe, I used salted pistachios and therefore I did not add any salt to the cake to intensify the flavors. If you come across unsalted pistachios, you can use them and simply add around 1/2 tsp salt.
I am looking forward to seeing your carrot cake creations on Instagram (Tag me @vanillacrunnch ) or you can use the hashtag #bakingwithvanillacrunnch or and leave a comment here and put a smile on my face.
- 1¼ cup spelt flour
- 1½ cup pistachios
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ granulated sugar of choice
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup plant-based milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp apple vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grease a rectangular baking tin (25cm).
- Finely grind the pistachios and combine them with the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In your blender combine the spinach with the milk and oil until it looks like a smoothie.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry one and fold gently until well combined.
- Carefully add the apple vinegar.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to fully cool down before spreading the glaze.
- For the glaze I simply combined vegan cream cheese with powdered sugar and sprinkled some pistachios on top.