Homemade vegan pie crust. A thing I was always a little afraid of. I mean making a raw vegan pie crust is kind of easy with the base of dates, crushed nuts and coconut oil. But what about making a vegan pie with a baked crust. Combined with fresh figs and a heavenly chocolate ganache filling, this dessert is the perfect treat for autumn. I present you my Mini Vegan Chocolate Fig Pies.
Many or almost all vegan pie crusts are made with all-purpose flour. I wanted to try one with buckwheat flour to make it gluten-free. However, I think the result turns out way better when using all-purpose flour. I experienced that the dough turned out very crumbly and I had to be very patient in order to work with it.If you are not allergic to gluten, I highly recommend, taking all-purpose flour.
The dough itself is very easy and just contains 3 ingredients.
Flour, Coconut oil, salt.
Next to the choice of flour, you want to have your coconut oil in a state between solid and liquid. Best thing is if you take the coconut oil out of the fridge 3o minutes prior to baking.
The filling is actually my favorite part because it is so easy to make and you just need two ingredients. Of course you can also make the filling „raw“ if you prefer. You can make the filling from my Raw Vegan Ganache pie recipe.
Last but not least, if you want to make this dessert in just 10 minutes, you can also buy a vegan dough from the store, but pssst!
If you try these vegan mini pies, seriously let me know! Take a picture and tag it #bakingwithvanillacrunnch on Instagram so I can see it! I enjoy looking at every photo and it always makes my day to see what you guys are coming up with.
- 1½ cup flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, scoopable and not liquid
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 8 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1½ cup dairy-free chocolate (I used Ombar)
- Combine flour, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add coconut oil in spoonfuls and use a fork to combine the mixture,until it resembles wet sand
- Add ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time and use a wooden spoon to mix.
- Use your hands to knead/form the dough in the bowl
- On a well-floured surface, use a rolling pin and roll out the dough as thin as possible
- Use a round cutter to cut out the discs for the crust
- Place the crust in round muffin tins and bake for about 15-20 minutes
- For the filling, heat the coconut milk in a pan
- Place the chocolate in a mug and pour the hot coconut milk
- Let sit for 1 minute and then slowly stir.
- Pour filling into mini pies and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Cut figs like a flower and decorate the mini pies.