I don’t know if you are familiar with raw brownies?
Brownies are like the perfect treat to make raw because their consistency anyway is very dense and gooey. Of course, I mean dense and gooey int he best way possible.
I LOVE gooey brownies when they are still a little bit warm, preferably combined with Icecream.
On Christmas (I know this is a while ago ;)) but hey it is still cold! I did these raw brownies with orange zest and I found that this is a match made in heaven. Give a classical brownie a whole new twist and kicks in some freshness due to the orange.
You can decorate the brownies with more walnuts as I did or even with a little more orange zest. For those of you who want to add a little crunch, I recommend topping them with cacao nibs.
- ½ cup pecan nuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 cups Medjool dates
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp of orange zest
- Optional Fudge layer:
- 1 can full-fat coconut cream (place the can in the fridge overnight, in order to get the white “creamy” consistency in the can)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup carob powder
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend the nuts in a food processor (not until finely ground but still let this nuts dance in the processor)
- Add the dates until you have a sticky mass
- Add cacao, agave syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest and sea salt
- Mix again until everything is well combined
- You will by now have a very sticky mass that you best smear with your fingers in a silicon baking dish
- Put it into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- (add the fudge layer, if you want to)
- Scrape the top layer (white, hard texture) above the coconut milk to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer. (drink the remaining coconut milk, the liquid part :))
- Add the coconut oil to the saucepan and stir until it melts. Add the carob powder, vanilla extract and the dark chocolate chips and stir until everything is melted.
- Pour over the bottom and refrigerate until firm (up to 4 hours) or freeze if you cannot wait with eating and want to them to be ready in 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray and cut your brownies as big as you like them.