Finally waffles again! And this time the best thing is not that they are vegan and gluten-free but the heavenly rhubarb raspberry compote on top!
So let me present you my „Vegan Buckwheat waffles with a rhubarb-raspberry compote“. The recipe is actually super easy and due to the fact that you are going to use buckwheat flour without gluten, the waffles will not stick to your iron as much as other waffles with a plain flour might would. Waffles have been judged as an unhealthy breakfast like forever, but with this recipe, they are actually as healthy and nutritious as any oatmeal or smoothie.
For the compote, I decided to use rhubarb and strawberries and agave syrup to achieve a sweet and sour taste. Further, I added a tablespoon of chia seeds to make the compote thicker and more like jam. I give you the advice to let the compote cool down as it will get more solid once cooled down. You can add more or less syrup but for me, this was perfect as the waffles itself are not really „sweet“ by themselves.
Un hier noch das Rezept auf Deutsch:
2 TL Backpulver
2 Chia Eier – 2 EL Chia Samen eingelegt in 4 EL warmem Wasser
1/2 TL Zimt
1 TL Vanillepaste
eine Prise Salz
2 Stangen Rhabarber, geschnitten in Stücke
1 EL Chia Samen
- 1½ cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ cup almond milk
- 2 "chia flax eggs" - 2 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 4 tbsp warm water, soak
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 rhubarb, cut into rectangular pieces
- 1 cup raspberries
- ⅓ cup agave syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- In a small bowl make the chia eggs by soaking the chia seeds in the water
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder)
- In another bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the mixture with the dry ingredients to the one with the liquid ones and mix.
- Leave mixture in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to soak again.
- According to your iron's instruction, bake the waffles.
- For the compote, you take a small pan and on medium heat boil the rhubarb with the raspberries and agave syrup and chia seeds.
- Let boil for about 10 minutes until the rhubarb is soft and the chia seeds have soaked in.
- Let cool down before spreading on the waffles