This Vegan, Gluten-free coconut loaf with pomegranate glaze is not only an eyecatcher on birthdays, it is also totally yummi, moist and easy to make! Usually, when I bake, I substitute the „egg“ component either with Chia-Seeds, Flax seed or apple sauce, but for this recipe I wanted to achieve some fluffiness and therefore tried the Vegg-Egg for the first time.
First try with Vegg-Egg
Veg-Egg is a 100% plant-based eggyolk replacement. It is made only from natural ingredients without the cholesterol, allergens, and cruelty to animals that would come with normal eggs. I never fancied raw or cooked eggs but always thought they belong into loaf cakes to give them lightness. The Vegg-Egg does a good job with this and I am really happy how the cake turned out, however, I still think that the cake could be lighter and less dense. I haven’t really figured out how but I will continue experimenting!
I stumbled upon the Vegg-Egg at my local store LOLA in my hood Lorraine when I was originally looking for Chocolate. (of course)
So, this is actually the first cake that doesn’t include chocolate that I really like! The pink glaze is totally optional but just for the sake of pink it is quite cool to make it. You can make the cake with the glaze in under an hour but I have to admit that it took me over 20 minutes to get all the pomegranate seeds out, because I had no idea how to do it. I advise watching a tutorial before you sprinkle your kitchen in deep red.
Have fun everyone baking this cake for a princess or a prince 😉
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup birch sugar
- 3 Vegegg*
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- zest of a lime
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- juice of one pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 degrees)
- Make your Vegg-Eggs by combining 3 tsp of Vegg-Egg powder with approx 5 tsp of water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours with the baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl. combine the melted coconut oil with the birch sugar, the Vegg-Egg, shredded coconut, milk, vanilla and sea salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry mixture into wet mixture.
- Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake for about 35-40 min or until a scewer comes out clean.
- For the glaze simply combine the juice of the pomegranate with the powdered sugar and pour over the cooled down cake.