Moist, rich vegan swiss carrot cake with a wholesome flavor and hidden veggies. Topped with lemon cream cheese and marzipan carrots.
Skeptical about this vegetable cake…
I only recently learned that I really enjoy carrot cake next to lemon and chocolate cake. It’s my dad’s favorite cake and he usually enjoys one once a year. This year, I tried to make my own, without butter and eggs. And tada, success!
Did you know that carrot cake is a Swiss traditional called “Rüeblichueche”? Well, to be honest, I never thought I’d say this but this healthy vegan swiss carrot cake the best tasting carrot cake I’ve made. And not only is it vegan, it is actually made very quickly and easily without lots of fancy ingredients or equipment.
Maybe you never made carrot cake because you think it is more complicated than other cakes? Not true! Once you realize how easy it is to make this healthy vegan carrot cake from scratch, you’ll want to make it over and over again.
If you have time I recommend making this healthy vegan swiss carrot cake while you are reading this. Otherwise (you better come up with a good excuse), you can save the picture below to your Pinterest board and find the recipe later. Make sure you check out my Pinterest profile Vanillacrunnch if you are interested in seeing all my Pinterest boards for inspiration.
I am looking forward to seeing your carrot cake creations on Instagram (Tag me @vanillacrunnch ) or you can use the hashtag #bakingwithvanillacrunnch or and leave a comment here and put a smile on my face.
- 2 big carrots, finely grated
- 300g spelt flour
- 150gr sugar (works with all kind of granulated sugars)
- 180g grounded almonds
- 15gr baking powder
- ⅔ cup (150ml) sunflower oil
- ⅔ cup (150ml) oat milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 200gr vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 150gr powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180 degree)
- In a medium bowl, combine the grated carrots with the sugar, grounded almonds, sunflower oil, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl combine the spelt flour with the baking powder. Gradually add to the carrot mixture in the other bowl until well combined.
- At the end, add the apple cider vinegar and immediately put in the baking tin and then in the oven. (Do not heavily whisk in the apple cider as this could make the whole mass sticky)
- Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes (But always check with a toothpick as every oven and baking tin is different!)
- For the icing, combine all ingredients and spread on the cake. If the mixture is too liquid put in the fridge for some minutes or/and add more powdered sugar.
- If you want add decoration like marzipan carrots