It is actually a little embarrassing to tell you this…
I have never had nor done a banana bread until today. I have no idea why. How could that AWESOMENESS not have caught my attention before? I feel like I have wasted a bit of my life.
SO, I will make it up to you dear banana bread. Last Sunday we had an amazing brunch and my friend Fanny brought this banana bread with a chocolate layer. The fact that there is something with chocolate on is reason enough for me to taste it. When I tried that first bite, that slightly warm banana and chocolate flavor in my mouth, I went straight to heaven and never back.
Of course, I do not want to keep that recipe from you! For my version, I adapted Fanny’s recipe a little by cutting out the nuts and using coconut milk and some other small changes like adding cinnamon and vanilla. (with other small changes, I actually mean I added more chocolate…) But thank you Fanny for coming up with “the best vegan gluten-free banana bread” !
Finally, to make the perfect slice, I topped it with my heavenly VEGAN NUTELLA SPREAD
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 tbs melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup agave syrup
- 1tbs chia seeds mixed with 3tbs water
- ⅓ cup cacao nibs
- ⅓ cup dark chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup spelt flour (I used a gluten-free one, whole wheat works as well)
- 1tbs baking powder
- ¼ tbsp baking soda
- a dash of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2tbs cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180°)
- Combine the mashed bananas, coconut oil, agave and the chia seed water mixture into a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the flour and the baking powder
- Take about ⅓ of the batter and mix it with the coconut milk, the cacao powder, chopped chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour the plain batter into a lined loaf tin and top with the chocolate half. Take a knife and “cut” trough the batter a couple of times to create a marbled effect.
- Top with sliced bananas
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a bit before slicing.
- Serve warm with homemade Nutella
This post is dedicated to my friends Fanny, who came up with this genius chocolate-banana bread idea!