I always feel the small pressure of having a very extraordinary and unique birthday breakfast. I mean hey it is birthday time and I need to step up the breakfast game.
Having nightmares of fruit plates and fancy triple filled crepes or a big five flavor, three layer cake, I decided to go with the classical pancakes.
Vegan chocolate chip pancakes
Here we go again. I tried them let’s say 5 times so far. I failed 3 times and succeeded 2 times. A pretty bad rate I guess. Well there is the things about pancakes. They are very prone to errors.
So I thought instead of just showing you the recipe, I show you the mistakes I made when I tried them for the first time.
First thing. Over mixing is your enemy! Don’t laugh it is real. You can destroy a properly made mixture by simply over mixing. I got so many responses of people saying they tried the recipe but the dough was terrible and it was too sticky or simply not holding together.
You can avoid 90% of these occurrences by being nice to your dough and not whisking him too fast.
Second might be a personal thing but I figured out that I can form much prettier pancakes when I put the dough (once done) back into the fridge. I have no idea what it does to the dough but my pancakes look prettier when I do it.
Last but not least. Flour matters! You might know that different flour types have different consistencies and they soak the liquid ingredients more or less according to their „dryness“.
This said, let me tell you that coconut flour is a very dry flour and depends heavily on the brand.You might use a very dry one and then the dough looks dry and sticky. When you see that simply add a little more coconut milk and this will solve the problem. Pancakes require a lot of flexibility 🙂
Now I wish you a lot of fun trying them. For me they were the perfect breakfast on my birthday and daaaamn that Nutella Spread gave me the rest. (Recipe in my ebook)
Enjoy peeps! <3
- ¼ cup coconut Flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (substitute with 1.5 tbsp Chia seeds soaked in water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate drops (more if you are a chocoholic)
- ½ banana, sliced
- ½ tsp Coconut Oil for frying
- First we make our "egg substitute flaxegg"
- Put the flax seed (or alternately the Chia seeds) in a small bowl and whisk together with half of the coconut milk (1/4 cup)
- Set aside to thicken for 10 minutes
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a mixer until smooth.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat.
- While the pan is heating up, add the chocolate chips to the pancake batter. Stir gently.
- When the pan´s hot enough, start frying your pancakes by using approx. two tbsp. of the dough for one Pancake.( Tip: Use an Icecream scoop!!)
- Fry for about 2-3 Minutes or when bubbles appear. Flip over!
- For the Toppings, simply slice half of the banana and decorate
- Finally, top your pancakes with as much chocolate spread as you like. (Nutella Spread from my Ebook )
Oh ja, bei Pancakes kann man tatsächlich einiges verkehrt machen. Obwohl ich mir bei dir gar nicht vorstellen kann, dass dir auch mal ein Rezept misslingt 😉
Lena | http://www.healthylena.de
Ach das ist lieb Lena! Aber leider passiert mir das sehr oft! Das zeigt man dann halt nicht 😉 eigentlich schade ich könnte mal ein failpost machen ????
Sina @ Vegan Heaven says
These look simply amazing!! 🙂 So glad I just found your blog!
Thanks so much Sina ❤️
These look amazing but my son has tree nut allergies. Is there a sub for almond flower?
You can substitute with white flour or spelt flour or basically any other flour should work ???? good luck and let me know how they turned out!
Roxanne Laneuville says
DÔ you have a Facebook page?
Working on a professional one 🙂
Hey, sehr leckeres Rezept 🙂 danke für die Idee 🙂 fand dich auch Pinterest übrigens 😉
Hallo Julia! Dane dir <3
Ich hätte eine Frage. Ich habe das gleiche ausprobiert und mein Teig ist seeeehr dick. Woran kanns liegen?
Liebe Julia, ich habe herausgefunden dass nicht alle milch marken gleich dick oder dünnflüssig sind. Am besten gibst du einfach ein bisschen mehr Milch zum teig bis er dünnflüssiger ist. Hats geklappt?
Julia Hoffmann says
Jap, super. Danke dir 🙂
Sehr gerne! Ich hoffe es klappt ????????