I had some overload of oatmeal for the past week, so I thought YES! Let’s make some waffles on the weekend. Fluffy Vegan Breakfast Waffles. For me, waffles are a weekend breakfast since they are more time consuming than oatmeal or granola with fruits.
Nevertheless, I was quite surprised how fast these waffles were ready to eat on my plate. For this recipe, I have used whole wheat flour, but feel free to sub with all purpose flour or spelled flour if you want. Just make sure you add more or less water if you know that the type of flour is especially a dry one. I would not recommend using coconut flour as it simply soaks to much liquid and makes the dough too crumbly.
A few drizzles of maple syrup on top gives a crowning glory to an otherwise ordinary waffle and the whipped coconut cream adds a little extra freshness. You can decorate with all the fruits you like to get in extra vitamins with this breakfast. Of course, you can also drizzle chocolate!
- ¾ cup wheat flour (or spelt flour) (100 grams)
- ¾ cup oat flour (100 grams) substitute with the flours above
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup warm tap water (150 ml)
- ½ cup almond milk (150 ml)
- grated zest of half an orange
- 1 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- Mix the flours, baking powder, coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon and orange zest in a bowl.
- Add the water, milk, vanilla extract, vinegar, melted coconut oil and stir well.
- Put the mixture shortly in the fridge while heating the waffle iron.
- Put the mixture into the waffle iron and cook according to the instructions of your iron.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, fresh
fruitsand sliced almonds.
healthy waffles that are fluffy are always a good idea for breakfast!!
Ich liebe Waffeln! Das werde ich mir auf jeden Fall fürs nächste Sonntagsfrühstück merken 🙂
Lena | http://www.healthylena.de
spelt flour, not spelled flour 😉
love the beautiful pictures of these waffles! 🙂
Hahaha autocorrect sucks ????thank you!!
Just made them – everyone loved them and I did, too! Thanks for the recipe!
Awesome nadine! I am so happy for you! Can you send me a picture would love to see them <3
Jonh Smith meint
Those waffles look so damn delicious, i can’t to try out this recipe!
Deryn @ Running on Real Food meint
Well, can’t wait till the weekend now! Thanks for sharing! Love your pics, by the way. Great stuff 🙂
do you think I could use gluten free flour? If so, would I use 1 1/2 cup flour to replace the spelt and oat flours?
yes this could work 🙂