I don’t really like granola when it doesn’t contain chocolate. But to be honest, sometimes you need to step outside your comfort flavor zone. Because if you do you will find so many new things that could be awesome as well.
Surprise your taste buds. As for me this nut-free maple granola with coconut yogurt and fresh figs definitely made it to my “it-doesn’t-contain-chocolate-but-it’s-yummi-anyway” list.
I don’t know a lot of people, who are doing their own granola and I don’t really know why. Seriously it is one of the easiest things to do and most of the process time you can relax and wait, while your oven makes it crunchy.
Further you will do yourself a favor as
many almost all store bought granolas contain a lot of sugar. They claim to be healthy and low-fat but there is always a lot of hidden sugar in these. By making your own, you cannot only make it as sweet as you want to but also add all your favorite ingredients. The one here is a basic one with potential to be adapted with your favorite foods. You can eat your granola with milk or as a topping but I really prefer it with coconut yogurt and since figs are in season, with fresh figs.
Could I convince you to make your own granola now? It doesn’t has to be this nut-free maple granola but your very own creation. This one is definitely under my top three amongst the orange – dark chocolate rawnola and the 5 ingredient vanilla tahini.
What is your favorite combination?
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup puffed quinoa
- ⅓ cup amaranth
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tbs hemp seeds (substitute with pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbs ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 320F (160 degrees)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and toss well to combine. (I used my hands to do this as I found it was the easiest to combine everything)
- Place on a lined large baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Check and stir with a fork and then bake for another 5-10 minutes until your kitchen smells nicely
- Once the granola has cooled down either eat it right away or store in an airtight container.